Travel Profile

My photo
Songwriter Dreamcatcher

Thursday, February 24, 2011

10 Re-Culture Shocks

Hello Travellers!

Malaysia was not as hot as I expected it to be. I guess being home in February rather than May does make a lot of difference.
Well, let's not make this a weather blog.

Here are some of the culture shocks or rather re-culture shocks that swept me off my feet when I came home:

1. Men stare at me
As much as I would like to say that this was because I am utterly attractive, I cannot because they were actually looking at my clothes. Hmm. Yes.

2. Busses are like cans of sardines and sardines push
With the overwhelming population in this country, it is easy to fill up our public transportations with human beings. However, this does not call for rude public behaviour. People in the city need to learn how to relax and breathe slowly. Life is too good to be wasted on stress and hasty manners.

3. Asians love their cellphones
When I arrived at Changi Airport in Singapore, I was shocked to realise that I may very well be the only person in the room without a cellphone in my hand. Not a very surprising fact but a definite re-shocker.

4. Everything is tiny. Even the roads.
I felt like I was at the edge of my seat the entire journey home. Two roads here definitely qualify as one in America. I began to doubt my early driving experiences...

5. Currency Conversion Shock
Still getting used to the big equals small equals big. Tough to explain.

6. The old line up while the young take the shortcut anytime
At the customs in Kuala Lumpur, I noticed a very long line of adults at the 'Malaysian Passports Only' counters and only one person was using the automated machines that were conveniently installed by the government to save time. Obviously, I took the road less travelled and it took me only 20 seconds to get done with everything. People need to learn to trust machines a little bit more.

7. The steering wheel is in the wrong side of the car
And I used to think that too when I was in America.

8. Afternoon telenovelas and soap operas are more than just entertainment
Who killed who today? Ah, they finally fell in love.

9. People walk
Despite the heat and the humidity, we love walking and that is part and parcel of this beautiful country. Unlike America, we do not have ample land with no residents besides cows. This does make everything much closer together and more compact so that everything we ever need is within walking distance. We ourselves need very little space.

10. Fresh produce exists?
The morning market, booming with so much vibe and energy as well fresh vegetables, meat and fruits was definitely a refresher. I had to sit and think about whether I really did have instant pizza and canned spinach three weeks ago. However, I was self-entertained when I could amuse my family about all the bizarre food inventions and technology in America. Oh you know, your usual cake in the box, cookie dough, canned broccolis, microwavable dumplings and many more.

I think 10 is a good place to start re-cultivating.
It is really astonishing that a small planet like Earth could have so many differences at opposite ends.
The question is, are we really that different inside?

I hope to answer that in the days to come.
Stay safe!

Yours truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment