Travel Profile

My photo
Songwriter Dreamcatcher

Monday, March 7, 2011

McDonald's: An International Standard

Hello Travellers!

After two weeks, I finally decided that it was time to check out the local McDonald's. What can I say? There would be no America without it.

A few days ago, I mustered the courage to try the drive through. Remembering my previous experiences, I tried to keep the order simple. 2 Vanilla Cones. Only the best.
So here I went with an optimistic spirit. Obviously, the driveway was extremely narrow. When I got to the ordering machine, I placed my order loud and clear.
The response was: Spicy or non spicy?
Me: Huh?
Response: One McChicken, spicy or non spicy?
Me: Um, no. Two vanilla cones please.
Reponse: Oh, okay. 2 Ringgit and ten cents.

How odd.

Today, because I was about to order 3 separate meals and use a coupon, I figured that it would confuse them to use the drive through. So I decided to park and walk in. There were very few people and the parking lot was empty because Malaysians only go out after 10pm every night. And it is the very opposite with people in Kansas. Another thing that was different was the fact that the McDonald's here had a welcomer who opened the door for you. And the interior was more appealing as it served as a sit-down restaurant rather than a cheap fast food outlet.

Anyways. At the counter, I mentioned 'to go' without much thought. I was given a weird stare. And for a moment, I tried to think of the alternate words I could use. Instead, I blankly muttered 'Not eating in'. I'm sure I looked a complete idiot. Oh wells. She responded with a simple 'Take away?' and I nodded. Of course, take away. Why didn't I think of that. They didn't serve ice cream in the mornings which was a sad deal and of course, Malaysia doesn't offer the scrumptious McGriddles. They really should, I miss them already. Surprisingly, the service was great this time. I was greeted out with a warm smile. Not forgetting the existence of chili sauce that makes the world better. I also daringly tried the coffee even though I seemed to be deathly allergic to it in the U.S. It was actually really good, except for the fact that I feel a little high at the moment. I guess it was a little strong.

So, there you go. The ups and downs of a non American McDonald's. It's always interesting to check one out while travelling places. It definitely is enlightening.

Yours Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment